Welcome to the LivingWell Bistro blog! I hope you have found the time to stop in and visit the Bistro! If you haven’t had a chance, please stop in and say hello!

As we develop this blog, we hope we will encourage you to try cooking and preparing a few vegan meals of your own – based on some favorites in the LivingWell Bistro, chef specials, seasonal produce and more! Or, if you currently practice a plant-based diet, I hope we can provide you with a few new ideas to enhance your current diet.

I absolutely love food – the endless combinations, enhancing natural flavors, and creating a plate that makes one hesitate before diving in! Occasionally we may highlight a few of our favorite products and brands – that you can purchase too – to help you find healthy, vegan options anywhere!

Let’s begin with something a little easier and versatile for the first recipe! J

Quinoa Bowls!

Frequently, guests join us in the Bistro for and inquire about one of our most popular menu items – the Quinoa Bowl! My recommendation would be to try it with the traditional Sesame-Ginger Sauce, and a small side of Teriyaki Sauce to finish it – absolutely delicious! That aside, what is quinoa? Quinoa is a high-protein grain with almost two times the protein content of brown rice. It was originally believed to be cultivated by the Incan tribes in South America. The grain has increased in popularity dramatically in the past few years – especially as more individuals have considered a gluten-free diet.

To prepare quinoa, use a rice cooker with a 2:1 ratio of liquid to quinoa – using a basic vegetable broth or water! Add some freshly minced garlic and herbs to add some additional flavors if you would like!

Then, to prepare quinoa bowls…here are a few ideas, depending on your mood! Just layer the items in a bowl and enjoy.  Feel free to mix and match as you please or develop your own ideas! Garnish ideas are included, if you would like to use any of these ideas to entertain or to create a unique presentation for yourself to enjoy!

Comments

Adam
09/19/2012 8:33pm

This is fantastic! I was just telling my wife about the quinoa bowls at the Bistro and saying that we should try making them at home. Perfect timing, can't wait to try it out.

Lauren
09/19/2012 10:22pm

I am really excited about this new blog! I've not yet had the chance to try out the Bistro as I live in California but I look forward to trying some of your tips/recipes at home.

David Nutter
09/19/2012 10:57pm

The research I did after a heart attack and stent led me to believe a plant based diet was critical to my health. Thrilled to see your bistro at the hospital where my stent was placed!
Love your food! I can't feel sacrificial about quitting meat and dairy when eating your food is such a delicious treat!

Rita
09/20/2012 9:06am

Thanks for sharing your delicious dishes. I loved the spiral zucchini dish I had at the Bistro but cannot figure out how you make the squash into "spaghetti." Please share a "how-to" if this isn't a trade secret :)

Carolyn Scalise
09/20/2012 5:00pm

The Living Well Bistro got a nice nod today on 620 KPOJ radio from Bo Rinaldi of Blossoming Lotus and Vegan Fusion. It's nice to know my hospital supports plant based diets and actually has a vegan bistro. This kind of lifestyle is something I share with my patients in the Cardiovascular Unit, which happens to be just across the hall from the Living Well Bistro... Good job!

Ashleigh Pedersen
09/21/2012 2:09pm

Thank you so much for all of your comments and positive feedback about the Bistro!

Rita - To make the "spaghetti" from squash or other vegetables, we use a vegetable spiralizer (which we sell in the LivingWell Bistro Marketplace). It is actually quite simple. Next time you visit, please ask one of our chefs to demonstrate and show you how. :)